- Rule #1: Landscaped Areas [PDF]
(adopted by council on March 8, 2006; ratified by AGM on
November 8, 2006)
- Rule #2: Policies for Quieter Living
(first adopted by council on July 5, 2006; revised in 2007; ratified by AGM on November 6, 2007)
- Noise between units. Please do not place pianos, speakers, etc.
against shared walls. If you have hardwood floors, please be aware
that noise transfer may be magnified between units. Area rugs can help
absorb noise. If playing musical instruments, please keep windows closed.
- Quiet Hours. The official policies of UBC and UEL mandate
quiet hours after 11PM. We suggest 10PM-7:30AM as hours when neighbours
would especially appreciate quiet. Please refrain from using garburators,
dishwasher, vacuums, etc. during
these hours. If you are planning renovations, please be aware that work hours are restricted to 7:30AM to 7PM,
Monday through Friday, and 9AM to 5PM on Saturdays. No renovation work may be done on Sundays and statutory
holidays unless specific relief is granted in advance by UBC Properties Trust.
- Outdoor Noise. Outdoor noise (patios and park) can be disruptive. Please be conscious
of evening noise. For disruptive noise past 11PM, please contact the RCMP at 604-224-1322.
- Noise problems. If you receive a noise problem from a neighbour,
please consider expressing your concerns directly. If the issue is not
addressed adequately, or you
are uncomfortable approaching a neighbour, please contact the property manager, Sylvia Brewer, at 604-904-9595.
- Rule #3, Second-Hand Smoke Policy
- Smoking on patios and balconies and the resulting
second-hand smoke interferes unreasonably with the rights of
neighbouring owners to enjoy a healthy environment. In consideration
of the health hazard caused by second-hand smoke, and following
sections 4.1(a), 4.1(c), and 4.1(f) of Strata Bylaw BCS 1419, and in
further consideration of the 2008 amendment to the Tobacco
Control Act of British Columbia and the no-smoking regulations of the
University of British Columbia, the following Rule was
adopted and ratified by the AGM on October 28, 2008:
Smoking is prohibited in all common areas, including all of the parkade,
on limited common property, including all balconies and patios,
and within 6 meters of any door, entrance or window.
- Rule #4, Realtor Signs
- A realtor sign for a unit may be displayed only on the dedicated
realtor sign post while the unit is offered for sale and must be removed
no later than two weeks after the unit has been sold.
- Rule #5, Election Signage
- Political lawn signs: In consideration of the restriction imposed by Bylaw Section 42.3 on the replacement of signs, billboards, advertising and placards on common property and limited common property, the Strata Corporation grants permission to display political advertising posters during an election period for a federal, provincial or municipal election (including the University Neighbourhood Association) subject to limitations on location, duration and size.
- Political lawn signs may be placed next to an entry gate to a unit in such a way that it can be attributed clearly to that unit.
- Political lawn signs may be displayed commencing on the day the election is called, (the writ of the election is issued). Signs must be removed within one week after the election is held.
- The height and width of political lawn signs may not exceed one metre.
||... are set out in the British Columbia
Strata Property Act and cannot be amended.
||... provide for the administration of a strata corporation
and for control of management, maintenance, use and enjoyment of strata
lots. The common property and the common assets require a 3/4
majority vote at the general meeting.
||... address the use, safety, and condition of the common
property, not strata lots. Rules require 50% plus one vote at the general
meeting in the year in which the rule is adopted by council. Such rules
need only be ratified once.
© 2019 British Columbia Strata Corporation #1419.